[Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:01:10 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:
> I dunno if plumbers do this, but in terms of car repair places, they bitch
> because then they can't buy the part at a lower price and mark it up to
> retail on the customer's bill.
> (which I don't particularly have a problem with, btw).

Charging a mark up on parts is acceptable, esp if the installer bears
the cost of keeping inventory.

What really ticks me off, though, is parts wholesalers that absolutely
refuse to give any similar breaks to good customers that aren't "pros".

I used to be a "good [retail] customer" at a small independent foreign
car parts store, where a substantial portion if not majority of business
was pro' service shops.  Those guys called up Mike, had him look up the
parts, deliver them in the store truck, then presumably were mailed a
net-30 invoice for a wholesale discount price.

I walk in the store WITH part numbers, that I KNOW he has on the shelf
(ie: costing him money by the minute).  Offer to pay cash, and ask if he
can cut me a small discount for a good customer on this large purchase.
  No Can Do.  F.U. Mike.  Hope I paid with a credit card.

Another occasion, same store, working on my car @ home during the day
with no backup vehicle.  I'm missing a part.  Call up Mike, and ask if
he can deliver one to me for full retail price and payment in cash.  No
Can Do.  He knows me, and the neighborhood;  hell, he's 3 miles down the
road.  His trucks run around here all day.  Some lame ass excuse about
the driver being "scared" to deliver here.  It's a clean cut middle
class neighborhood in Huber Heights, OH (hi Mike [insert ascii middle
finger here ^^!^^]), not the fucking "hood".

I order most parts online these days.  I don't wanna hear the "mom &
pop" stores bitching about loss of business unless they're treating
customers decently.

<End Rant>

   -Wayne