Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)
From: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 23:56:20 -0500
My Neighbor called me a few months ago to see if I could help get her
husbands car started. He had died several months before and the car had been
sitting in the garage.  I went down and the battery was dead flat, gave it a
jump start with no problem. I then followed her to the GOODYEAR TIRE STORE a
couple of miles away where they had always had the car serviced. She left
the car and I gave her a ride home. A bit later she called because they
called to tell here she had an oil leak and they needed to steam clean the
engine to find the leak ( 75 dollars to steam clean ) and she needed several
other parts . I went back down with her and asked to see the leak . I
couldn't believe that  five minutes of running would oil up an engine so bad
that you could not tell what was leaking.
When we arrived I noticed that while the car was in the stall the hood was
still down ???  When I asked then to show me where the oil leak was located
they opened the hood and looked around , finally he passed his finger over
the backside if a valve cover and showed me a dirty, not oily finger.
I told the guy, if you didn't seem to have any problem finding the " leak"
without the steam cleaning. Replace the battery which was under  warranty
and keep your hands off the rest of the car.
Sad part is the replacement battery after pro rating  and installation
charge came out to twice what she could have bought one for at a box store.
Sorry for taking up band width with my rant but every chance I have,  I make
it a point to take a shot at GOODYEAR.

Bob Nogueira

PS: I skipped the part about how the 'TEST" ( conducted without ever opening
the hood )  showed she  needed  new Alternator as well.