Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)

To: BSHolden@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wholesale Auto Parts (Otto? Otto parts?)
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:16:37 -0500
I had a similar experience with a Firestone owned/operated but not
badged store in Texas. I went in for a 4 wheel alignment and was handed
a list of things that were highlighted that needed immediate attention,
along with an estimate of about $700. Some things were not checked, but
assumed to need replacing because "nobody replaces the xxxx these days,
and it really should be replaced". They flagged the cabin air filter and
also said the oil was dirty. It had a new filter about 1 week earlier
and oil gets dirty with use (about 1000 miles in this case). In all
fairness, they did say it needed a tie rod end, which it did, but wanted
over $100 for the part, plus 2 hours to replace it. I bought a new Moog
tie rod end from the same place they would have gotten it for $42, and
replaced it myself in less than half an hour. They had no answer for why
they were using scare tactics like that, but most folks in town
(population 12,000) now know to not pay much attention to their lists.
They are the only passenger car tire shop within 25 miles. If you want
tractor tires, they are available right down the street! I generally go
to Discount Tire, about 25 miles away, but they sell me what I want and
don't try to pile on other things that I don't want or need.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake BSHolden@aol.com:
> Yup. Back in the mid '80's I encountered this situation. Geez, take a
> company vehicle with 40K on it in for a LOF and they call back telling me I
>needed
> new tie rod ends, u-joints and a muffler.
> Beware that in central Iowa they now carry the Freedom Tire moniker.
>
> Of course, the local Firestone and Tires+ stores try to pull the same  BS.
>
> Buyer beware.
> In a message dated 10/7/2007 7:18:51 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> foxtrapper@aceweb.com writes:
>
> Gal I  knew showed up one night in tears over the safety inspection hit list
> they  gave her on a car she'd just bought.  Six pages long.  It was so bad
> it
> was downright funny.  She needed new tires, new doors, new  windows, new
> fenders, new shocks, new springs, new radiator, new exhaust,  new lights, new
> hood, new window cranks, new steering wheel, new gauges,  new seats, new seat
> belts, new bumpers, new engine, new transmission, new  differential, new
> waterpump, new alternator, new wipers, new horn, etc,  etc, etc.
>
> After we calmed her down, and spent a long time laughing at  the incredible
> list Goodyear came up with, we sent her to a friends  shop.  I think she
> needed a set of shocks, nothing  more.

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com