Re: [Shop-talk] Salvage title vehicles

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>, Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Salvage title vehicles
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:40:12 -0400
Whether or not there could be a problem with the title, you are still
looking at a car that has been in a serious accident, and how can you
know how well it was repaired?  A tainted title should give you a much
bigger discount than 17%, in my opinion.

If you were familiar with the vehicle before the accident and knew
what had happened to it, and how it was fixed, probably you could make
a sound judgment about its value.  But without that information, it's
a pure gamble...

If it was totaled,they must have replaced a lot more than a wheel bearing!

Doug

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Tim <tputland@charter.net> wrote:
> Yesterday we looked at an 04 Cavalier for my daughter that has a "salvage"
title. We were told that car was in a front end accident and was totaled by
the insurance company. This car, with AC, alloy wheels and what not else would
blue book for close to $6000. We can get it for $4995.

> I has new tires and brakes and is very clean. The guy also said it has a new
wheel bearing which I have to assume is on the front right wheel where the
accident damage occurred.

> When I drove the car it felt solid and tight.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums