Re: [Shop-talk] Salvage title vehicles

To: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Salvage title vehicles
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:59:55 -0400
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/2010 1:12 PM, Dan Kroninger wrote:
>>
>> I am with you, I have had 3 civics and have loved every one of them.
B They
>> are
>> a bit more to get into price wise, but you will pay way more in the long
>> run
>> on an American car. B They just seem to be made better, in my opinion.
>
> And if you are into the "Buy American" thing, the Civic is built in Ohio.
> B Suprisingly, it looks like the Cavaliers are, too. B Was guessing the
> econo-box Chevys were Mexican.
>
>> I don't know if a car fax report would show the type of damage that the
>> car
>> had or anything like that, but you may want to request that the seller
>> orders
>> one. B Also look at any records for the car, police report, etc. B If they
>> do
>
> The car-faxes I've seen don't detail damage. B They just list "Major
damage"
> vs "Light damage" or something. B Think it's just based on a ballpark
number
> from the police report.

Carfax reports what they get.  If the only thing they get is an
initial police report that says "major damage", that's what it shows.
If they get data from insurer or body shop that says what they paid to
have done, they'll show that, but they don't get those data a whole
lot.  (A number of insurance companies have a history of committing
out-right fraud by not getting salvage titles on vehicles they were
required to.  Do you really think they're going to volunteer data that
reduces the auction value of their cars?)

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html