Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:46:20 -0500
There has been a lot of consolidation in the rental car business and to me it
seems most mid-level companies are the same. I haven't had any issues with any
of them in well over a decade. Enterprise owns National so you have a good
service area should anything happen.

Here in the USA, almost every credit card company will have insurance coverage
securing the car if you use the card, and they probably mate that coverage to
the renter's policy for their own car, which may have gaps/overlaps with a
non-USA policy. That's some fine print worth reading, and check with your car
insurance co to see what they cover for rentals.

jim

On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Nick Brearley wrote:

> Sorry for the OT but I'd be very grateful for any input on this one.
>
> Been planning a West Coast trip next February. Looking for car rental rates
National kept on coming up significantly cheaper (~40%), even after allowing
for unlimited mileage, one way dropoff and various insurance gotchas. If
anyone has any experience or advice about dealing with National I'd be very
interested to hear it. Looking at consumer websites gives the usual spread
from perfect to terrible.

> Tenuous Shoptalk link, the car will probably be used for transporting sundry
bits which will be used in my shop back across the pond.