Re: [Shop-talk] Mice

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mice
From: Jack Brooks <jibrooks@live.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:32:30 +0000
Accept-language: en-US

--_000_DM2PR08MB319AC820861BD47C848B746A8850DM2PR08MB319namprd_

I had good results with the Victor traps too, but salami worked better than=
 everything else.  It tripped the traps well too.

With the Victor trap you can adjust the sensitivity by bending the tab and =
rod.

Jack

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM -0800, "Jim Franklin" <jamesf@groupwbench.or=

Bait brings the poison outside where cats and owls ingest it. Glue traps ca=
use considerable discomfort when the mouse chews off its own limbs to get a=
way.

Spring traps need to be placed against a wall since that's how mice usually=
 travel. But put the short end against the wall, not the long end. Use pean=
ut butter for bait, and smoosh it into the bait tab, don't just lay it on t=
op. Make them work for it so they put pressure on the bait tab. I've caught=
 dozens this way. You likely have a few nests in different parts of the hou=
se, so put traps all over if you'll be gone for a while. Once they set up s=
hop, they multiply quickly. Given what I just went through with them in my =
ceiling, I'd buy 20 traps and lay them all out.

I've also heard good things about the rat zapper but they're pricier and fi=
ll up.

Baby mice (which you likely have by now) may be too small to get trapped by=
 the arm, and might be too gentle to spring the trap, but will be big enoug=
h in a few weeks.

I use the Home Depot $1 Victor traps with the copper bait tab. I've also us=
ed the ones wit the "fake cheese" bait tab (but with peanut butter) and the=
y have a sensitivity adjustment that I put on max sensitive.

Good luck. Mine are crawling up the concrete foundation and through gaps un=
der the siding.

jim

On Dec 6, 2016, at 7:33 PM, Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com> wrot=
e:

> Guys,
>
> I left my house in earlier this fall for an extended work trip. I got bac=
k a week ago. Gone maybe...three months total?

> I had gnats in the fridge. I'm not sure how I managed that but I cleaned =
everything out and haven't seen them again.

> I also have a mouse problem in the kitchen. I didn't see any evidence of =
mice when I got home initially, but I left a chocolate bar on the kitchen c=
ounter the second night (wrapped in its wrapper, sealed) and the mouse ate =
through the wrapper.

> I put out spring mice traps--the mouse ate the bait and didn't spring the=
 trap.

> I put out glue traps. The thing flipped over the trap and clearly was stu=
ck to it, but got away.

> I've seen the thing once--it looks tiny. There might be many (in fact, I =
assume there are), but I've just seen the one.

> I'm not real excited about poisoning it and having it (or them) die in th=
e walls.

> I have no idea how they're getting up on the counter to start with--I don=
't see any openings in anything and I can't believe the thing is crawling u=
p the side of the counter, but whatever. I just want it/them done for.

> Any ideas about how to go about it? Am I baiting the trap wrong? More glu=
e traps?

> I'm leaving again until after new years--the house will be cold enough th=
at I don't mind a dead mouse in a trap while I'm gone (and people will be c=
hecking the house for me, this time).

> Any advice welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

s@live.com

--_000_DM2PR08MB319AC820861BD47C848B746A8850DM2PR08MB319namprd_

<head>

<!-- converted from text --><style><!-- .EmailQuote { margin-left: 1pt; pad=
ding-left: 4pt; border-left: #800000 2px solid; } --></style>
</head>
px; font-family:sans-serif; font-size:11pt; color:black; background-color:w=
hite">
I had good results with the Victor traps too, but salami worked better than=
 everything else.&nbsp; It tripped the traps well too.
px; font-family:sans-serif; font-size:11pt; color:black; background-color:w=
hite">
With the Victor trap you can adjust the sensitivity by bending the tab and =
rod. <br>
px; font-family:sans-serif; font-size:11pt; color:black; background-color:w=
hite">
Jack</p>
m Franklin&quot; <span dir=3D"ltr">
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jamesf@groupwbench.org"; target=3D"_blank">jamesf@grou=
 ingest it. Glue traps cause considerable discomfort when the mouse chews o=
ff its own limbs to get away.
Spring traps need to be placed against a wall since that's how mice usually=
 travel. But put the short end against the wall, not the long end. Use pean=
ut butter for bait, and smoosh it into the bait tab, don't just lay it on t=
op. Make them work for it so they
 put pressure on the bait tab. I've caught dozens this way. You likely have=
 a few nests in different parts of the house, so put traps all over if you'=
ll be gone for a while. Once they set up shop, they multiply quickly. Given=
 what I just went through with them
 in my ceiling, I'd buy 20 traps and lay them all out. <br>
I've also heard good things about the rat zapper but they're pricier and fi=
ll up.
Baby mice (which you likely have by now) may be too small to get trapped by=
 the arm, and might be too gentle to spring the trap, but will be big enoug=
h in a few weeks.
I use the Home Depot $1 Victor traps with the copper bait tab. I've also us=
ed the ones wit the &quot;fake cheese&quot; bait tab (but with peanut butte=
r) and they have a sensitivity adjustment that I put on max sensitive.
Good luck. Mine are crawling up the concrete foundation and through gaps un=
der the siding.
jim<br>
On Dec 6, 2016, at 7:33 PM, Scott Hall &lt;scott.hall.personal@gmail.com&gt=
; wrote:<br>
&gt; Guys,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I left my house in earlier this fall for an extended work trip. I got =
back a week ago. Gone maybe...three months total?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I had gnats in the fridge. I'm not sure how I managed that but I clean=
ed everything out and haven't seen them again.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I also have a mouse problem in the kitchen. I didn't see any evidence =
of mice when I got home initially, but I left a chocolate bar on the kitche=
n counter the second night (wrapped in its wrapper, sealed) and the mouse a=
te through the wrapper.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I put out spring mice traps--the mouse ate the bait and didn't spring =
the trap.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I put out glue traps. The thing flipped over the trap and clearly was =
stuck to it, but got away.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I've seen the thing once--it looks tiny. There might be many (in fact,=
 I assume there are), but I've just seen the one.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I'm not real excited about poisoning it and having it (or them) die in=
 the walls.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I have no idea how they're getting up on the counter to start with--I =
don't see any openings in anything and I can't believe the thing is crawlin=
g up the side of the counter, but whatever. I just want it/them done for.<b=
r>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any ideas about how to go about it? Am I baiting the trap wrong? More =
glue traps?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I'm leaving again until after new years--the house will be cold enough=
 that I don't mind a dead mouse in a trap while I'm gone (and people will b=
e checking the house for me, this time).<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Any advice welcome.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Scott<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Shop-talk@autox.team.net<br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/a=
rchive</a><br>
&gt; Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/for=
ums</a><br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/s=
hop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jamesf@groupwbench.org</a><=
br>
&gt; <br>
Shop-talk@autox.team.net<br>
ate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archiv=
e</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</=
a><br>
alk/jibrooks@live.com">
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/jibrooks@live.com</a><br>

--_000_DM2PR08MB319AC820861BD47C848B746A8850DM2PR08MB319namprd_--

--===============0719600030428575851==

--===============0719600030428575851==--