Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 14:15:41 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000eb386505bfde9e9f

Install a fuel shutoff. I have one on my big Ariens snowblower, my
generator, my nicer push mower, etc. When you're done using it and you're
not 99% certain you'll be starting it again within a few weeks then instead
of doing whatever you normally do to turn it off just shut the fuel valve
off and let it die.

I've been doing this for years and the stuff I do this on just seems to
work season after season no matter how long it sits.

-Paul

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 2:07 PM Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have a snowblower. It might not get used at all in a winter, it might
> get used ten times. And I have a long driveway, so I don't want to sell it.
>
> I would like to winterize it such that next October if I want to fire it
> up I don't have to do what I did this February and disassemble it in the
> cold to get it to run.
>
> It doesn't have a battery, so this is a gas/carb. issue only.
>
> Is it best to drain most of the gas and let it run until it dies from
> starvation? Would that leave residue on the jets that might varnish? I'm
> hesitant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad experience with that once. Drain the
> gas, take it apart and spray everything with carb cleaner or the like?
>
> This is the first engine I have that might sit for two years straight then
> need to get fired up as quickly as possible, so I'd like to do this right.
>
> Thanks in advance.

--000000000000eb386505bfde9e9f

nowblower, my generator, my nicer push mower, etc. When you&#39;re done usi=
ng it and you&#39;re not 99% certain you&#39;ll be starting it again within=
 a few weeks then instead of doing whatever you normally do to turn it off =
;ve been doing this for years and the stuff I do this on just seems to work=
tr">On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 2:07 PM Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.=
hall.personal@gmail.com">scott.hall.personal@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Guys=
 winter, it might get used ten times. And I have a long driveway, so I don&=
t such that next October if I want to fire it up I don&#39;t have to do wha=
t I did this February and disassemble it in the cold to get it to run.</div=
d let it run until it dies from starvation? Would that leave residue on the=
 jets that might varnish? I&#39;m hesitant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad expe=

--===============7467185367442504992==

--===============7467185367442504992==--