Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?

To: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?
From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:51:40 -0700
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net

--0000000000002ef97c05bfdff603

Great advice Pat, particularly about leaving the engine at TDC to ensure
the valves are closed.

This relieves pressure from the valve spring and ensures that the
combustion chamber is sealed from humidity and potential dirt, intruders,
etc.

best,

doug

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 11:18 AM Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com> wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I=E2=80=99d change the oil on it, run it to warm up, then change the oil =
again,
> then run it until all the fuel is burned up.
>
> If you like, spray the carb down & do a plug & filters service. Check the
> fuel lines for stiffness & cracks.
>
> Put a little oil into the cylinder & turn it over a few times. Try to
> leave the engine @ TDC.
>
> If the carb has a priming bulb, buy a new one before next season =E2=80=
=9Cjust in
> case=E2=80=9D.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Pat Horne
> We support Habitat for Humanity
>

> On Apr 13, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> =EF=BB=BF
> Guys,
>
> I have a snowblower. It might not get used at all in a winter, it might
> get used ten times. And I have a long driveway, so I don't want to sell i=
t.

> I would like to winterize it such that next October if I want to fire it
> up I don't have to do what I did this February and disassemble it in the
> cold to get it to run.
>
> It doesn't have a battery, so this is a gas/carb. issue only.
>
> Is it best to drain most of the gas and let it run until it dies from
> starvation? Would that leave residue on the jets that might varnish? I'm
> hesitant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad experience with that once. Drain the
> gas, take it apart and spray everything with carb cleaner or the like?
>
> This is the first engine I have that might sit for two years straight the=
> need to get fired up as quickly as possible, so I'd like to do this right=
.

> Thanks in advance.

--0000000000002ef97c05bfdff603

s pressure from the valve spring and ensures that the combustion chamber is=
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 11=
:18 AM Pat Horne &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patintexas@icloud.com";>patintexas@ic=
"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-le=
ft:1ex">Scott,<br>
I=E2=80=99d change the oil on it, run it to warm up, then change the oil ag=
ain, then run it until all the fuel is burned up. <br>
If you like, spray the carb down &amp; do a plug &amp; filters service. Che=
ck the fuel lines for stiffness &amp; cracks. <br>
Put a little oil into the cylinder &amp; turn it over a few times. Try to l=
eave the engine @ TDC. <br>
If the carb has a priming bulb, buy a new one before next season =E2=80=9Cj=
ust in case=E2=80=9D. <br>
Peace,<br>
Pat<br>
Pat Horne <br>
We support Habitat for Humanity<br>
On Apr 13, 2021, at 1:07 PM, Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.hall.pe=
rsonal@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">scott.hall.personal@gmail.com</a>&gt; w=
rote:<br>
=EF=BB=BF<br>
Guys,<br>
I have a snowblower. It might not get used at all in a winter, it might get=
 used ten times. And I have a long driveway, so I don&#39;t want to sell it=
.<br>
I would like to winterize it such that next October if I want to fire it up=
 I don&#39;t have to do what I did this February and disassemble it in the =
cold to get it to run.<br>
It doesn&#39;t have a battery, so this is a gas/carb. issue only.<br>
Is it best to drain most of the gas and let it run until it dies from starv=
ation? Would that leave residue on the jets that might varnish? I&#39;m hes=
itant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad experience with that once. Drain the gas,=
 take it apart and spray everything with carb cleaner or the like?<br>
This is the first engine I have that might sit for two years straight then =
need to get fired up as quickly as possible, so I&#39;d like to do this rig=
ht.<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=