Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Winterizing (summerizing?) an engine?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 15:57:31 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=AYRHC8f3Fkd6ct/zJm4LnW/UeIihcCpghjOHfVG0NMEPUdIt7yzGCCE4SPdfcTyhi5Fr5QxjkEC+1aAuckJr+vxAhpEeEiQotMnwZ6rDhm7mHJJUWCwuMXS2Ne5+TxTjBsTFjxvobPgBcnrwatioo5mNSjhUfP+SUR6xa4Zb8TACKdfgdsLGVkKjtUxD+gsG+BtMb12p7QYthk0xjpf/YvgIDRBg5iVEKxbEJg19MjVVIU7gNabC3XIf+f+Y7FNgrZ+xs7P00cDTa2F59KNFPSZ+7Q+qUZfSVogu9AHvUacd/AwTKvhKGu5OUqVrOM7BXwSl/j4uLHRTTOQPA0tyqg==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------5EC4E20F4A43D6E8D49F6F1F

I second the fuel shutoff.  I have one on my wood chipper that may go
8-10 months without being used.  I run Stabil in my gas, but I'm
California and they really mess gas up here.

I had a lawnmower valve stick after about two months a while ago. After
getting it unstuck, when the mower was seldom used in the California
winter, I'd slowly pull the cord every few weeks to make sure nothing
stuck again.

I have a commercial grade string trimmer for brush clearance and was
told by the local shop to try and make sure I start it every couple
months to keep the carb clean.  I only use TruFuel in the trimmer and it
makes a big difference over my past trimmers.  They make a 4-cycle
version.  It may be worth it to drain the regular gas and put some of
this in, run the blower a few minutes, then shutoff the gas and let the
engine run out of fuel.  It is stable for the long term and doesn't gum
things up like regular gas.

Sample:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527238/203571144

Brian

On 4/13/2021 11:03 AM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have a snowblower. It might not get used at all in a winter, it
> might get used ten times. And I have a long driveway, so I don't want
> to sell it.
>
> I would like to winterize it such that next October if I want to fire
> it up I don't have to do what I did this February and disassemble it
> in the cold to get it to run.
>
> It doesn't have a battery, so this is a gas/carb. issue only.
>
> Is it best to drain most of the gas and let it run until it dies from
> starvation? Would that leave residue on the jets that might varnish?
> I'm hesitant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad experience with that once.
> Drain the gas, take it apart and spray everything with carb cleaner or
> the like?
>
> This is the first engine I have that might sit for two years straight
> then need to get fired up as quickly as possible, so I'd like to do
> this right.
>
> Thanks in advance.

--------------5EC4E20F4A43D6E8D49F6F1F

  <head>
  </head>
    I second the fuel shutoff.  I have one on my wood chipper that may
    go 8-10 months without being used.  I run Stabil in my gas, but I'm
    California and they really mess gas up here.  <br>
    I had a lawnmower valve stick after about two months a while ago.
    After getting it unstuck, when the mower was seldom used in the
    California winter, I'd slowly pull the cord every few weeks to make
    sure nothing stuck again.  <br>
    I have a commercial grade string trimmer for brush clearance and was
    told by the local shop to try and make sure I start it every couple
    months to keep the carb clean.  I only use TruFuel in the trimmer
    and it makes a big difference over my past trimmers.  They make a
    4-cycle version.  It may be worth it to drain the regular gas and
    put some of this in, run the blower a few minutes, then shutoff the
    gas and let the engine run out of fuel.  It is stable for the long
    term and doesn't gum things up like regular gas.<br>
    Sample:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527238/203571144";>https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-4-Cycle-Ethanol-Free-Fuel-6527238/203571144</a>
    Brian<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAK73_u7D4V+W1ufNk_RGEktx0A63ngN_A30wtCT+EYf_0f8N+A@mail.gmail.com">
          winter, it might get used ten times. And I have a long
          driveway, so I don't want to sell it.</div>
          want to fire it up I don't have to do what I did this February
          and disassemble it in the cold to get it to run.</div>
          only.</div>
          dies from starvation? Would that leave residue on the jets
          that might varnish? I'm hesitant to use Sta-bil--I had a bad
          experience with that once. Drain the gas, take it apart and
          spray everything with carb cleaner or the like?</div>
          years straight then need to get fired up as quickly as
          possible, so I'd like to do this right.</div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>
href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a>