Re: [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)
From: John <jbach@swiftrecruiters.com> please include it with any abuse report jbach@swiftrecruiters.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 08:12:22 -0500

--------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN

How about a GFCI outlet that has tripped?

On 11/10/2021 7:15 PM, Eric Russell wrote:
> Oh wise & beneficent Shop Talkers - I've run into a situation that has
> me stymied. I need help locating a blown fuse in a motorhome.
>
> We recently bought a new (to us) motorhome. When installing the signal
> booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I
> accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay lights. There was a
> small spark (followed by a few swear words). I then went on a hunt for
> the blown fuse. There are three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in
> the Ford chassis (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near
> the parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power
> converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.
>
> I contacted the manufacturer (Thor) who has actually been quite
> responsive & has tried to help. After asking for my vehicle's VIN they
> emailed me some schematics (not actual wire diagrams but more a map
> showing the general location of outlets, switches, etc with
> indications of which circuit they belong to). There are two schematics
> that appear to apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights
> are connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
> indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V panel. Neither
> of those fuses are blown. While there I checked all the fuses I could
> locate - none were blown. I've also signed up to a couple of motorhome
> forums but have not been able to find an answer there.
>
> Finally - my plea for help - is there any device one can use to trace
> where a circuit originates? I've seen an electrician use a device to
> find out what outlet goes to which breaker in our house.
>
> I've followed the hot wire from the cargo bay light back to where it
> enters a wire harness along the motorhome's frame rail. I'm loath to
> rip open the wire harness trying to chase the wire further upstream.
> As far as I can tell there is nothing else in this circuit -
> everything else is working properly. Of course I can live without
> cargo bay lights but it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I
> know it did before my screw up).
>
> --
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC

--------------NbamaDLqz2zPxVZd0Xf9jgDN

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAP7dBXAUkTD2CXpZES70onWfajOE3XgaUxhfUH2xjqkWwoPfYA@mail.gmail.com">
        into a situation that has me stymied. I need help locating a
        blown fuse in a motorhome.
          the signal booster for a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring
          System) I accidentally shorted a 12V wire in the cargo bay
          lights. There was a small spark (followed by a few swear
          words). I then went on a hunt for the blown fuse. There are
          three fuse panels in this motorhome. Two in the Ford chassis
          (F-53) - one under the hood and the other inside near the
          parking brake - plus one in the motorhome's 120V - 12V power
          converter. I could not find a blown fuse anywhere.
            quite responsive &amp; has tried to help. After asking for
            my vehicle's VIN they emailed me some schematics (not actual
            wire diagrams but more a map showing the general location of
            outlets, switches, etc with indications of which circuit
            they belong to). There are two schematics that appear to
            apply to my motorhome - one indicates the cargo lights are
            connected to the Ford panel by the parking brake, another
            indicates they are in circuit #6 of the converter's 12V
            panel. Neither of those fuses are blown. While there I
            checked all the fuses I could locate - none were blown. I've
            also signed up to a couple of motorhome forums but have not
            been able to find an answer there. </div>
            use to trace where a circuit originates? I've seen an
            electrician use a device to find out what outlet goes to
            which breaker in our house.</div>
            to where it enters a wire harness along the motorhome's
            frame rail. I'm loath to rip open the wire harness trying to
            chase the wire further upstream. As far as I can tell there
            is nothing else in this circuit - everything else is working
            properly. Of course I can live without cargo bay lights but
            it bothers my OCD to have it not working (when I know it did
            before my screw up). <br clear="all">
            -- <br>
              data-smartmail="gmail_signature">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"