Re: [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)

To: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net> 2903e8d5c8f:6.0.425,18.0.790,17.0.607.475.0000000 definitions=2021-11-12_04:2021-11-11_01,2021-11-12_04,2020-04-07_01 signatures=0 mlxscore=0 suspectscore=0 malwarescore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 phishscore=0 mlxlogscore=999 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.12.0-2009150000 definitions=main-2111120100
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Finding a Blown Fuse (Automotive)
From: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 12:59:10 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-6FE2FCFA-069F-4C10-BB0C-9AEFECBAF461
        charset=utf-8

Yes, cable tracers are very handy, I have 4 of them in one form or another. I=
=E2=80=99ve found that there are two classes of tracers, cheap & not so chea=
p. Units under about $50 will work for most jobs, but the more expensive one=
s generally have greater sensitivity. 2 of mine are cheap, one is Fluke & on=
e is part of a high dollar instrument for actually measuring the specificati=
ons of cables.=20

One helpful way to increase the sensitivity of the tracer when tracing a pai=
r of wired is to connect the signal generator to one of the conductors & the=
 other test lead to ground rather than to both of the wires in the pair.=20
This also helps when you have a short between the wires you are tracing.=20

None of them work for finding cables in buried PVC conduit, even when right a=
gainst the conduit.=20

Fluke & Greenlee seem to be the best bang for the buck if you are going to u=
se more than a few times.=20

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne=20