Re: Greetings from a new 1972 Spitfire Mk IV owner

To: NA Campiglia <spitdrvr@camalott.com>,
Subject: Re: Greetings from a new 1972 Spitfire Mk IV owner
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 07:15:32
I think that Spitfires offer the ability for many car enthusiasts to enter
into great realms of interest with their cars.  Weekend racing, autocross,
touring, or just showing some teenagers what a real sports car looks like.
Many people realize that while our wonderful cars are great and some of the
finest ever built, that they too have shortcomings.  If Triumph was still
building cars today I have no doubt that the Spitfire would, at least at
some point, had a V-6.  Opinions differ, but while rebuilding my car, I try
to stay whithin the spirit of what I feel the car is and should be.  I
don't create a whole new car but I will modify mine.  This is not herecy,
just a sports car owner enjoying his car.  Spitfires are great platforms
for you to exercise some creative freedom and rebuild (build) a car that is
completely different but still deserving of the Triumph marque.  I wish the
best of luck to anybody that can modify their car to make it better.
Grassroots Motorsports magazine is going extensively over putting a Mazda
rotary into a Spit, and there are many people out there that have done
conversions to v-6.

- Scurrying off the soapbox before he gets knocked off!

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spit

At 05:46 PM 8/3/98 -0500, NA Campiglia wrote:
>Hi,
>Congrats on the new addition, Im sure it will bring you years of fun.
>
><FLAME ON>
>That is if you DONT do any goofy things to it like put a V-6 in it, how
about just making it.....  say a Triumph Spitfire.  Not a show car, not a
strip car, just a plain ole Spitfire.......

>There are plenty of performance items that you can add and do to it to get
the rubber flying without going GEARHEAD NUTS on the poor thing..