Re: Cool Aesthetic Tip

To: vmichael@tibco.com
Subject: Re: Cool Aesthetic Tip
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 09:21:22 PDT
Disclaimer: Results may very, see particpating stores for details.

Vic, you may need to soak it for a longer amount of time depending on
the amount of oxidation.  You could soak it for weeks and no harm will
be done to the metal.  Acetic acid just isn't very corrosive.  When I
took mine out of the vinegar the first time it was kinda coppery colored
after rinsing and hitting it with a Brillo pad it was more or less brass
colored.  Soaking it again got it a bit lighter.  And polishing it
really brought out the shine.  You'll be surprised how much black stuff
will come off that little badge when you polish it.  I totally destroyed
an old t-shirt.

Thinking back to chemistry if you want to speed up the reaction of the
vinegar you could pour some NaCl (salt) on it while immersed in the
vinegar.  It will strip the metal a lot faster but will also make it
tarnish quicker unless treated.  I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.  Just
let the vinegar do its thing.

Ryan

>As soon as I read Ryan's suggestion, I ran out to the tool box and
>taking Joe's tip on using a putty knife, I was able to get mine off the
>dash without too much trouble and without any solvents.
>
>My badge has been soaking since then.
>It looks like the vinegar is ruining it.  The brown spots have turned
>a copper color while the rest has turned two toned brass. I'm sure when
>I've let it sit for 2 days it will be fine. Right Ryan?! ;)
>
>Vic
>
>bharris wrote:
>>
>> Joe,Ryan,anyone else,
>>
>>   Just the tip I was looking for!! Now can someone tell me the best
way
>> to remove this badge without bending it?
>
>> I'm just so pleased with how this came out I had to tell everyone.
My