Re: Cool Aesthetic Tip

To: Ryan Smith <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cool Aesthetic Tip
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:52:43 -0700
I didn't mention in the earlier post how I cleaned mine up.  BUt this is
what I did:

I took a toothbrush and some DuPont polishing compound and scrubbed it
to get all the crud off (not shiny at this point).

Then I installed a cotton buffing wheel on my bench grinder and with
some polishing rouge made for soft metals, I polished the high points
and left the low points dark with the accumulated black tarnish.  This
gives a very sharp 3-D effect and makes the details really stand out.

Finally, I cleaned it up with PPG AcryliClean and sprayed it with clear
laquer to protect the metal against tarnish.

Joe

Ryan Smith wrote:

> Disclaimer: Results may very, see particpating stores for details.
>
> Vic, you may need to soak it for a longer amount of time depending on
> the amount of oxidation.  You could soak it for weeks and no harm will
> be done to the metal.  Acetic acid just isn't very corrosive.  When I
> took mine out of the vinegar the first time it was kinda coppery colored
> after rinsing and hitting it with a Brillo pad it was more or less brass
> colored.  Soaking it again got it a bit lighter.  And polishing it
> really brought out the shine.  You'll be surprised how much black stuff
> will come off that little badge when you polish it.  I totally destroyed
> an old t-shirt.
>
> Thinking back to chemistry if you want to speed up the reaction of the
> vinegar you could pour some NaCl (salt) on it while immersed in the
> vinegar.  It will strip the metal a lot faster but will also make it
> tarnish quicker unless treated.  I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.  Just
> let the vinegar do its thing.
>
> Ryan
>

> >As soon as I read Ryan's suggestion, I ran out to the tool box and
> >taking Joe's tip on using a putty knife, I was able to get mine off the
> >dash without too much trouble and without any solvents.
> >
> >My badge has been soaking since then.
> >It looks like the vinegar is ruining it.  The brown spots have turned
> >a copper color while the rest has turned two toned brass. I'm sure when
> >I've let it sit for 2 days it will be fine. Right Ryan?! ;)
> >
> >Vic
> >
> >bharris wrote:
> >>
> >> Joe,Ryan,anyone else,
> >>
> >>   Just the tip I was looking for!! Now can someone tell me the best
> way
> >> to remove this badge without bending it?
> >
> >> I'm just so pleased with how this came out I had to tell everyone.
> My
> >> 72 Spit was missing its dash badge so I pried one off a 73 when I
> picked
> >> up my car.  It was pretty nasty after sitting in that TR graveyard
> for
> >> several years. Its color was sort of chocolate.  Well I've just
> gotten
> >> around to "restoring" it with fantastic results.  Heres how...
> >>
> >> First I soaked it in WHITE vinegar for around 2 days I guess.  This
> >> really brightened it up.  The acetic (sp?) acid is quite weak and
> won't
> >> really hurt anything.  Then I rinsed it off and gave it a light
> >> scrubbing with some steel wool.  Voila! A brand new badge.  This
> thing
> >> looks like its made of gold now.  Just for good measure I just
> changed
> >> the vinegar out and I'm going to soak for another 24 in some fresh
> >> stuff.  I'll give it another light scrub and maybe cover it with
> silver
> >> polish.  Assuming you have the badge off your dash this method can't
> >> miss.

> [...]

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer