RE: single piece dash feasible vs. 3 sections?

To: "Joe Whalley" <jw@mail09.mitre.org>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: single piece dash feasible vs. 3 sections?
From: "Tommy Morris" <morris@tmed.tatrc.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:56:27 -0400
Joe,

I finished a single piece dash a few month ago. I made the dash out of a
single piece of 1/2" Black Walnut. What I did for the pattern was to use the
the old dash as a template except I made a few changes to it. One of the
changes I made was: I used the drivers side dash piece as the template for
the passenger side to make both sides the same minus the steering wheel
notch and guages on the passenger side. I also added some additional guages.
I put three guages in the center under the heater controls and I moved the
Headlight switch and fuel guage over to the left of the Speedomoter. For the
finish I put about eight layers of Polyurethane on both sides to give it a
really good finish and to seal it from moisture. I put the mounting screws
in the back of the dashboard using the original wood as a guide for the
mounting screws so you can't see them from the front at all. There where
wholes in the metal already for the additional guages so there wasn't any
modification to the metal at all. the dash fit in pretty easily. If you give
me a couple of days I'll see if I can't get some Pictures posted.
It was definately worth it to me. The dash looks fantastic.

Cheers,
Tommy