Re: Electric Fuel Pump

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pump
From: Flinthoof Ponypal <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:57:26 -0800
At 01:01 PM 2/8/99 -0800, Barry Schwartz wrote:
>>I'm just thinking that if the engine stops, and for some reason I don't turn
>>the key off right away, the electric pump is going to build up pressure and
>>blow something out. Or am I just being a bit over protective?

        GM vehicles including the Vega, Monza, Buick Skyhawk, Pontiac Sunbird,
etc
all with the 2.3L four cylinder from 1970 to 1977 had electric fuel pumps
in the fuel tank itself.  Power was switched from the oil pressure switch
to prevent the engine from running if the oil pressure dropped too low.
That was a good and bad thing.  A good idea, but bad application- interal
leakage of the oil in the switch would often cause the sending unit to fail
and your car would come to screeching halt on the freeway with all the
symptoms of running out of fuel.  I've bought a lot of Vega's for $10
because of this switch, which was easily bypassed with a chunk of wire in
the driveway and away I'd drive their 'broken' car.

        How does this apply to Spits?   Most electric after market pumps today
are
indeed self regulating.  They will stall once the pressure reaches a point
and are quite happy doing so.   There are also two different ranges of
electric pumps: 3-5 psi and 5-8 psi.  From what I've seen so far, a Spit
isn't far from being almost gravity feed with the tank mounted so high so
the lower pressure would be my first choice.  A fuel pressure regulator is
inexpensive and looks pretty snazzy (nice chrome finish, don't ya know) if
you want to go with the higher pressure unit.

        As for the pumps themselves, you might seriously give some consideration
to noise.  The lower end pumps are what I call buzz boxes with a diaphragm
unit buzzing/clicking rather loudly.  These are typically square boxes with
two mounting ears along with the inlet and outlet connections on opposite
sides.   The can motor types are vaned units internally and are much
quieter.  They are also more forgiving of pressure buildups without damage.
 However they are also more expensive at $40+, but worth it in my opinion.

-Dan Canaan
-66 Mk II
 |             |   Equinart Studios * Furry Artist * Model Railroader   |
 |     *U*     |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |             |       ConiFur NorthWest '99- Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |  Flinters@picarefy.com * www.picarefy.com/~flinthoof   |