Re: Luggage rack placement

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Luggage rack placement
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:39:04 -0700
The rack that came with my 1978 1500, as supplied by the dealer to the
original owner, was of low profile type as you describe, but I have no idea
if it was an "OEM."

As to positioning, if I were to have to position it, the one I have can be
positioned on the boot lid as desired and the holes marked.

The dimensions of my rack are 18 1/4 X 35 1/4, approximately.  Looking at
the boot from the rear, the attaching hole nearest the rear-right most edge
is approx 4 3/4 inches from the right edge, 4 1/4 inches from the bottom
edge.  But the other side is a little different.  They apparently didn't get
it symetrical.

The rack itself is metal, flat tubes in bed part, but the frame is oval
tubular.  it mounts using 8 screw that secure caps over ball ends on the top
and bottom frame member.  The rack worked well for me on several long trips
(2 - 3k miles each).
-Gary