Re: Engine identification

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Engine identification
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:52:28 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Joe Curry wrote:

> As I said in my previous reply, I don't have any data on Dolomite
> production.  But according to Graham Robson, the Dolomite 1300 was first
> produced in 1965 and therefore your engine probably is (judging from the
> serial number) an earlier one.  So It probably is either a '65 or '66
> engine.

Hold on, Joe: two very different beasts underneath somewhat similar basic
body structures. The 1300 of 1965 was a front-wheel-drive sedan. Later
the structure was re-engineered for rear wheel drive and became Toledo
and ultimately various versions of Dolomite. In RWD form it used 1300 and
1500 versions of the "SC" engine but also used the 1850cc. slant four of
the Saab and TR7. Then there's that four-valve-per-cylinder Sprint
model... ok, I've stopped drooling.

> The Spitfire version with twin SU HS2 carburetors had an output of 75 hp
> at 6000 rpm.   The Dolomite engine with a single carb probably had
> slightly less.  The Torque of the Spitfire version was 75 lb./ft. at
> 4000 rpm and the Dolomite would have about the same or slightly less.

Anyway, the average 1300 motor with single carburetor (SU or Stromberg)
and no emission controls to speak of runs around 58-61 hp +/- at
somewhere in the 5000 rpm range. Torque runs around the 70+ ft/lb range
at somewhere in the 3000 rpm neighborhood.

--Andy