Re: Question about lens colors

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Question about lens colors
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:07:21 -0700
Andy,
All my resources (parts catalogs, etc.) indicate it was '70 but who can
verify the accuracy of those things!

Thomason's book doesn't say anything about a change to the all amber
ones on the home market cars (the focus of the book), so I assume they
didn't change to them until after the Mk3 was finished with.

His photo of a car that illustrates the front of an "after 75,000" Mk3
shows the split, 2-color lens.

I'd think that a change as significant as that would have fetched at
least a footnote.

Regards,
Joe

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > From all I can tell, the Mk3 has two piece lenses (White and amber) all
> > the way up through '69.
>
> See my previous post; the change to all-amber (still two-piece lens for
> two-bulb lamp base) was for 1969 models.
>
> > In '70 they changed to the all amber ones (at
> > least for the US models).  I think the ones for the rest of the world
> > remained unchanged through the entire Mk3 production.
>
> For the rest of the world, probably so. But all the 1970 US-spec models I
> ever dealt with had the same single-bulb lamp with amber one-piece lens
> that was used on the later US-spec Spitfire MkIV and 1500. Sorry, I'd be
> happy to quote lamp model numbers, but it's already about -20 here and
> dropping, and I've no desire to "stroll" out to the barn tonight! :-)
>
> Jeff, I still think that the lenses on your RHD Mk3 are correct for your
> car and the market for which it was intended originally.
>
> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer