Re: honda s2000 (was Re: Nitrous Oxide)

To: Dean Dashwood <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Subject: Re: honda s2000 (was Re: Nitrous Oxide)
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:28:37 -0500 (EST)
I dunno about _all_ race engines, but on my 4 stroke m/c race bikes, one
will not heat up (and run/carburate well) unless driven pretty hard (after
initial start/warm).  the carbing is the worst problem--it's so hair
trigger that you really only get a small degree band (compared to street
tune) to work with.  I'd imagine that e.f.i. helps this a lot, but I dunno
what full on f1 engines would do.  I've heard of plug fouling, and low
temp problems on 4 strokes, but they're comparatively rare, and they seem
to be decreasing in frequency over time.

the other bike doesn't seem to car, but that is more because it runs what
we'd call constant velocity carbs.

_two_ stoke racing, on the other hand, is a completely different matter.
you can get plug fouling, cold seizures, _terrible_ carbing and general
crappy performance until they're heated up, depending on tune.  on the
other hand, you also get overheating problems.  they are much more
sensitive.

I'd bet there are smaller problems on any carbed race car until operating
temp is reached, just because race engines are usually designed to run in
a specific pawerband for max. power, and the carbs are tuned that way.
plus, the hotter and engine is the better the performance (up to a point).
I think it's more a matter of the design being set @ xxxxx-xxxxx r.p.m.,
and you'd like it to be there as often as possible, 'cause you'd like to
win.

scott