Re: Radius Arm Length on a 1500?

To: gfaber <gfaber@fast.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radius Arm Length on a 1500?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 05:45:37 -0800
>Hello everyone
>Im rebuilding my diff and replacing my ujoints on my 80 spit and after
>removing my radius arms, I notice the bushings welded on the ends were
>not perpendicular to the the shaft, (right side) so I did the compare
>test to the other side and found the other side was perpendicular,
I don't have any measurements handy, but the "straight" one is from an
early Spitfire, up until 1972.  After 72, commencing with the 73 model year
the axles were lengthened 1 inch.  To accommodate this length, the radius
rod was also lengthened, modified slightly by mounting the bushings at a
slight angle to each other when viewed down it's length, AND the brackets
that mount to the body were changed slightly.  They mount at a slight angle
to align with the new geometry that the longer axles and rods required.
Looks to me like someone replaced the radius rod (at least) with an early
Spitfire rod.  It's also quite possible that the whole axle assy was
replace as well with an early one which would mean that you may have one
axle assy that is 1 inch shorter than the other.  Check the length of the
two, an easy way would be to look at the clearance of the wheel to the
fender lip.  If one is one inch farther in then you found the short one.
At best, you need to replace the shorter of the two radius rods.  At worst,
the axle and rod need replacing (my bet) -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)