Re: Radius Arm Length on a 1500?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radius Arm Length on a 1500?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:56:33 -0800
>Hi Barry
>
>You hit the nail on the head, I measured  my axles and  the drivers side
is  1
>inch shorter, bummer!
>at least it was still apart when making this discovery, guess I know why I
got
>a reconstructed title now!
>so I'll search for a used axle and radius arm
>Thanks for your comments they were greatly appreciated
>Happy triumphing

-- I've Cc'd the Spitfires list as this might be helpful to others as well --
Gerry,
You might want to check the bracket where the radius rod attaches to the
body.  These are also different for the different wheelbase vehicles.  The
one you *should* have, for the longer, correct axle arraignment on your
1500, should also be angled slightly.  That is to say that the "ears"
should not be perpendicular to the floor, but angled slightly from
perpendicular (to match the longer radius rod angle).  If the person who
changed the axle out was savvy, then they would have also swapped the
bracket for the shorter axle, so it would align correctly (since they
apparently weren't aware of the axle length difference, I doubt they were
"Spitfire guru's" but, they may have unbolted the whole assy, bracket and
all).  That bracket alignment, the shorty axle one, would be perpendicular
to the floor.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)