whining noise

Subject: whining noise
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:30:03 +0100 (BST)
You may remember I posted a question a week or so back about a whining
noise coming from the left rear of the car.  This has recently got worse.
 The symptoms are:

loud whining above 30mph with accelerator pedal pressed
quiet whining noise above 30mph while coasting, not that audible
louder whining noise under engine braking
The whining noise has been apparent for about 2-3 months, but has
recently got much worse

I know that I have an oil leak on the diff, could this whining noise be
caused by a low oil level?  I am having trouble getting the oil filler
plug off using a spanner, do I need a special tool?

Could the whining noise be a symptom of something more serious?  Should I
look at replacing the diff?  I could pick up a second hand one from the
spitfire graveyard, is there anything in particular that I should look
out for when selecting one, I imagine that it's hard to find a good one
seeing as you can't look inside.

Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree in thinking that it is the diff
at fault?

Any advice, as always, is very much appreciated.

cheers

John and Saskia (ailing slightly)