UJs - Do them NOW

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: UJs - Do them NOW
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 02 Apr 2001 08:00:12 -0500
Those of you with a long and detailed memory will recall that about 1 1/2 years
 ago I was driving along the 70 mph, dual carriageway system that circulates
 around Peterborough, when a universal joint on the off-side driveshaft
 dismantled itself, leaving the wheel located only by the spring and radius arm
 (i.e. very badly), and I considered myself very lucky to make it to the side
 of the road without hitting anything.  The thrashing around of the unconnected
 driveshaft end had knackered the UJ flange (both sides), and taken out the
 handbrake cable guide.  It was a scary thing to happen.  What was worse was
 that I KNEW the UJ was dodgy, but I had decided to wait to the weekend to fix
 it, when it would be more conveniant - but continued to drive the car (because
 I don't have anything else to drive!).

Well, you would think I would learn from my mistakes.  Apparently not.  I
 actually got a complete driveshaft/hub/trunnion assembly from TRGB,
 second-hand, and fitted that, as the easiest solution - the UJ on that felt
 OK, so I didn't bother replacing it.  A week or two ago, I noticed some free
 play in the driveline, and, on assessment, discovered a little free play in
 the diff, but most was due to play in the UJ - the same one that I hadn't
 bothered replacing 1 1/2 years and 20,000 miles ago.  Oh well, I thought, I'd
 better replace it - but I'll wait until I get the s/h spring a friendly chap I
 met at Jeff's Totally Triumph Garage decided to sell me, then I can do it all
 at once.

Friday night, I set off home, still with some free play in the system.  I
 noticed a slight squeaking sound, once per wheel rotation.  I noticed more
 vibration than ususal as I built up speed.  Daffy could not have tried harder
 to warn me of impending doom, but I ignored her and sped on homewards,
 thinking more about the coming weekend.  Sure enough (and co-incidentally
 within a couple of hundred yards of where it happened last time), the UJ fell
 to pieces, and I again swerved to the side of the dual carriageway without
 killing myself or anyone else, before finding a 'phone box to call the AA to
 come and get me (not too happy to be loading a car onto a trailer at the edge
 of a fast dual carriageway with no hard shoulder).

The message here is loud and clear - IF YOUR UJ IS BAD, REPLACE IT    I M M E D
 I A T E L Y   , DO NOT WAIT FOR A HANDY MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a suffix to this, I had the AA tow the car to the workshop back where I
 work, and I spent 3 hours replacing the UJ, as I had already bought a spare
 and it was in the car.  I noticed a crack in the flange, but decided to press
 on, and replace the flange later when I could get hold of one - I needed to
 fix the car that night so I could get home, and so I could get to work on
 Monday.  I got 100 yards before the flange broke and 3 hours work was undone,
 and I was stranded.  That was when I REALLY lost my cool!

Richard and Daffy (not as well loved today as she usually is - but if I'm
 honest it is my fault not hers!)