Re: UJs - Do them NOW

To: krhodes1 <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires
Subject: Re: UJs - Do them NOW
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 03 Apr 2001 10:46:44 -0500
Kevin,

I'm less convinced that it is UJs.  In my experience (which is more extensive
 than I wish it would be, as I'm sure you'll gather from my recent posts on the
 subject), you should get more noise with a dodgy UJ - you should get a clunk
 every time you pull away, every time you change gear, every time you move
 between acceleration and engine braking - basically, every time you move from
 no torque through the UJ to some torque, or the torque changes direction.

Having said that, UJs wear out, so if it is conveniant it is a good idea to
 replace them anyway (although it is a bit of a pain-in-the-arse job).

It is easy enough to check - get the car up on axle stands, or on a lift if you
 have access to one, out of gear.  If you can turn the propshaft a bit but the
 driveshaft doesn't turn, you either have a loose diff or dodgy UJs - just
 looking for relative motion will tell you whether it is the UJs.

There are other causes.  I have heard that loose radius arm bushes can cause
 such a clunk - although you say you don't detect any looseness in the
 suspension.  I remember Jeff McNeil had some sort of clunk like this in Mrs.
 Jones' early days - but I can't remember what the final solution was.  Jeff?

Richard & Daffy