1500 Hard-top Questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Hard-top Questions
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:56:47 +0100
Dear All,

Apologies for my silence recently - I have been unbelievably busy. (I
was very sorry to hear about Daffy - hope she's OK now).

I have now acquired (I think that's the word I'm looking for) a hard-top
for Carly.   Very cheap - but there are reasons...   Not only is it
painted bright Mazda Red, but it is also an ex-racing hard-top, and is
missing almost everything in the way of seals and so on.   Once I get it
painted to match Carly's cheeky Inca Yellow, I will need to add various
bits and pieces, including a headlining.   What headlining (White
Longhorn, White Plain, or Silver Grey?) would originally have been
supplied for a 1977 Inca Yellow car with black (houndstooth) trim?

I see from the Rimmer catalogue that there is supposed to be some sort
of moulding at the very back (Rimmer part number 818498).   The latest
price list shows the price as "Enquire" - which fills me with dread.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent illustration of this?
How vital is it?

Rimmer Bros appearing to be taking the mickey with their prices for
bolts, nuts, washers and spacers - can anyone give me generic
descriptions of the front and rear fixings, and the tie bar mountings?
I'd rather not pay two or three quid a bolt if I can discover that it is
simply a standard 3/8" BSW Bolt, 1" long, available at a few pence a
throw from ironmongers everywhere.

Any and all help gratefully received, as ever.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: