Re: 1500 Hard-top Questions

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Hard-top Questions
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:47:35 +0100
Hi Richard, Mike
The 1/2" AF bolt should by rights have a 5/16" thread on it.
On the whole Triumph stuck to the system of into steel use UNF (fine) thread
form, into aluminium use UNC (coarse) thread form.
Common sizes on Triumphs

5/16 AF = 3/16 UNF or alternatively 2BA
3/8   AF = 3/16 UNF or alternatively 2BA
7/16 AF = 1/4   UNF or UNC
1/2   AF = 5/16 UNF or UNC
9/16 AF = 1/2   UNF or UNC
5/8   AF = 9/16 UNF  (bolt often found with a 3/4 AF nut on)
3/4   AF = 5/8   UNF

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon