Re: GT6 doors on a Spit tub. Been there....

To: td214@cam.ac.uk, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: GT6 doors on a Spit tub. Been there....
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:35:30 EDT
I installed 1967 GT6 doors on my 1968 Mk3 Spitfire way back around 1973.  The
wing windows were fantastic.  I loved them.  When driving in the rain, they
allowed air into the car without soaking me (at the time, this was my only
Summer car and I made several trips in the rain).   In cooler weather with
the top up, crack them open with the heat on and enjoy.

Otherwise, with the top up and windows closed, fresh air is not available.

Even with the squared off door window shape, the overlap on the sort top was
no problem, even provided a more watertight seal in the rain.

Anyway, when I "upgraded" to a 1974 Spitfire and sold the 1968 in 1976, the
one thing I missed was the wing windows.  I currently have several sets of
GT6 doors in my collection, but none good enough to swap on my car (the same
aforementioned 1974).

If I were still driving in the rain or in top-up weather, I'd sure like to
have the wing windows again (I try to only drive topless now).

My opinion, take it or leave it...

"If it's not fun why do it?" Jerry Greenfield
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)