Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:15:10 +0100
Dear All,

Carly has an intermittent electrical problem - from time to time, the
rev counter dies.   When it does, it takes the windscreen wipers and
washers with it.   More often than not, when I start the car, the rev
counter/wipers/washers are non-functional.   Leaving the engine running
and fiddling with the switches and wires doesn't help.   Once I drive
away, the problem normally disappears within a few hundred yards, and
does not recur for several miles.   Once the problem returns, I am
without rev counter, wipers and washers for a minute or so, and then the
wipers and washers come back, followed shortly afterwards by the rev
counter.   The problem is less pronounced if I am driving with wipers
permanently on - they have never cut out on me, once they are up and
running - and the cycle is much quicker if I am driving in town than
when I am on a longer run.   Turning the engine off and restarting
resets the problem to the beginning.

Other known electrical faults with this car include non-functioning
cockpit light (probably just a bulb gone); non-functioning hazard
warning lights (they worked for me once, but no longer), missing cigar
lighter, non-functioning seatbelt warning light (I don't think it's
connected, but I haven't traced the wiring yet), non-functioning
reversing lights and non-functioning heater fan.   All the other lights,
gauges, indicators and the radio work fine.

Any ideas, anyone?   Please don't tell me I need a new wiring harness!

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: