Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 15:37:56 -0500
>Any ideas, anyone?   Please don't tell me I need a new wiring harness!
>
>ATB
>Mike

Mike --

One thing that comes to mind is a poor electrical ground.  This might
explain why you're able to get things to work while the vehicle is
moving - the vibration brings things into contact.

I would check the ground cable that goes from the dash to the body.
I have a '77 1500, but I don't remember just where that wire is - I'm
probably blocking it due to the extreme levels of frustration I've
had with the wiring in that car.

There are those who say that it should never be necessary to replace
a wiring harness, and there are those who highly recommend it.  I put
myself squarely in the latter camp - if you're having ongoing,
systemic wiring problems, you may well be better off with a whole new
harness than trying to maintain the patchwork that these
25-plus-year-old cars often become.  I just think that after a
quarter of a century of heating, cooling, vibration, flexing,
oil-soaking, and other abuse, if the copper isn't cracked, the
insulation is, and that's just as bad.

However - often cheap, simple fixes work quite well, so try those first!

HTH,
Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!