Re: Greeting LBCs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Greeting LBCs
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
That's ironic that the subject of motor enthusiast
greetings came up. I spoke to a friend of mine this
past Saturday, and he regailed in telling me that he
was driving on Rt.50 in maryland last week, when
someone drove up in a yellow TR6, gave him and/or his
Z3 a nod and then sped on past.

I told him, "he probably just sneezed".

Though his ability to identify british cars has a lot
to be desired, I only have his word to go on. He said
he thought it was a TR6 and that it was the same size
as a spitfire, but boxier and was a convertible.
Having no other evidence, I told him "Only a Triumph
owner would have the sense of humor or generosity to
give a BMW driver an appreciative nod".

Then I continued to cajole him by saying "And exactly
how did a car with a maximum safe cruising speed of
about 80mph and probably 20 years on your car, not
only catch up with you, but speed past your new 230 hp
beemer?"

The reason I have to pick on him is because I've spent
the past several years trying to talk him into
adopting a Spitfire or other british car (dragging him
to Bowie car fest every year), and pointing out the
attributes of various MG, Sunbeam & triumph vehicles.
He would always say "I just don't like the way they
look". And yet an LBC (or what he thought was an LBC)
owner gives him a nod on the highway and he's
strutting like a peacock.

I still think the guy sneezed.

Just remember that if another british car owner
doesn't wave back to you, it's because they're too
busy trying to stomp out the LUCAS electrical fire
that is blazing in their glovebox or foot-well. (I
forgot who said that a few years ago on the list, but
I always thought it a bit clever and would give them
credit).

-Terry
'76 Spit 1500 (If I don't get my new seats soon, I'm
going to sue someone.)
Maryland
P.S. So far this spring, I've gotten waved/honked at
by a Morgan roadster driver, modern Jaguar XJ6/8(?)
and an MGB. But I notice that Miata people don't
wave/honk...Very strange.

--- Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
wrote:

> I like to greet other LBCs, but get put off when it
> is not reciprocated.
>
> When I drove an MGB GT, I could guarantee a wave out
> of any other MG driver (B,
>  Midget, whatever) apart from MGFs!  One
> disappointment is that I don't always
>  get the same level of response out of other Triumph
> drivers, even though we
>  are fewer and further between.  I have given up
> greeting Dolomites and their
>  relations (never bothered with Acclaims), but
> usually try to wave at any
>  sporting Triumph or Herald/Vitesse.  80% of Spit
> and GT6 drivers wave back,
>  but probably less than half of the other models
> (although it happens so rarely
>  detailed statisitics are hard to come by).  I shall
> persist!
>
> For a while I continued to wave at MGs, but they
> never wave at me, only their
>  own kind, so I gave up on them!
>
> Richard & Daffy
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/