Re: Greeting LBCs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Greeting LBCs
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:27:51 +0100
A couple of weeks ago, a gentleman in a large white van stuck his head out
the window at a red light to tell me he liked my car.  He asked if it was
an MG, and I put him straight, then we chatted until the light turned
green.

Another recent story was when I saw rather tired-looking Herald.  You can
always tell the difference between a LBC which is being driven because the
owner is an enthusiast, and one which is being driven because it was the
first cheap car the owner found - and this was definitely the latter.
Nevertheless, I pulled alongside and smiled at the female driver, who
completely ignored me.  I pulled up at a red light (I seem to like red
lights!) and she stopped behind me.  I could see her face in my mirror -
for the first minute, she sat blank-faced - then she looked at my car,
leant forward (I think to read the badge on the back of the car), realised
that my car was a Triumph, just like hers, and smiled.  The next set of
lights she was turning left, so she pulled into the filter lane on the left
of the lane I was in, turned round and waved at me!

But my favourite story happened in France last year, on the way back from
Le Mans.  I was with a group from my TSSC area, in a convoy of 5 Spitfires,
driving along some windy country lanes in the north of France.  We came
round a bend, and saw, high up on the hills above us, a photographer taking
photos of the local scenery.  Behind him was his transport - a Spitfire!
Of course, we all honked our horns at him, and he waved back.  It must have
made his day - there was this Spitfire-owner/driver, quietly taking some
photos, when what should come round the corner but 5 Spitfires in a row!

In general, I find almost every Triumph owner happy to exchange greetings,
and it's definitely one of the bonuses of driving a LBC.  I've even
exchanged greetings with the driver of truck who was towing a Spitfire at
the time!

Dean