Re: hot start syndrome??

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <slaterw@bluffton.edu>
Subject: Re: hot start syndrome??
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:51:29 -0400
It is my understanding that the Isuzu Trooper starter motor is a gear reduction
unit that fits into a Spitfire.  Cannot elaborate beyond that.

I find the hot start issue with a Spitfire to be peculiar.  Normally, a hot
starter
motor is heated up by virtue of its proximity of the exhaust.  This is
particularly
an issue with headers.  The standard fix is to install a shield around the
starter
to keep the heat from the headers from soaking the starter motor.  But with
the Spitfire having the starter on the opposite side of the exhaust, I just find
it peculiar.

The oem starter design is not fragile, and is in fact robust enough to have
"motored" my Spitfire along in various gears on an as need basis (as in when
it died crossing an intersection, etc).  Now my original starter had gone bad
and was unable to provide adequate starting power, especially when warmed
up.  I did replace it with an oem type, and have had no problems whatsoever
cranking the engine over.  I didn't go with the Isuzu starter because I hadn't
heard of it at the time.  I must confess though, never on any of my engines
have I had a gear reduction starter.

>>> "Will Slater" <slaterw@bluffton.edu> 10/23 5:53 PM >>>
I just saw a reference to "hot start syndrome" in an ad by Ted Schumacher in
the Spitfire and GT magazine. He say that a gear ratio starter is guaranteed
fix the problem. I have noticed with my Spit that as I start it often makes
a loud kind of clanking noise.  That is the only time I hear it. I notice
that after driving for an hour or so and stopping for gas my Spit is hard to
start. It has always started but it gets worrisome especially the farther I
am from home! What can folks on the list tell me about this syndrome? I have
seen regular starters for $66 these HD geared starters were $195-$245 in the
magazine ads. As always I appreciate your help.