RE: hot start syndrome??

To: <slaterw@bluffton.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: hot start syndrome??
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:15:54 -0400
At 11:46 AM 10/25/01 , you wrote:
>I don't want to unnecessarily replace parts and would like to find
>that actual problem and resolve it rather than simply treat the symptoms. My
>knowledge of engines is admittedly pretty scant and so makes diagnosis
>particularly difficult. So, I am wondering where to go from here. Are their
>tests I could/should make to get at the actual source of the problem?

Measure the ACTUAL voltage that makes it to the starter DURING
CRANKING.  Connect a voltmeter directly to the
starter terminal post and the starter body.  If
the voltage is low, then you either have a bad battery,
or voltage drop in the wires, connectors, relay, or grounds.
Look for hot wires or connections after cranking.

To test voltage drop on the hot circuit, connect the meter
from the battery positive terminal (NOT the connector, the terminal
itself!) to the starter terminal.  If the voltage rises over
1.0 volts or so (anybody have a better value?) there is
a bad connection (or bad relay).  Do the same thing measuring
from the battery negative terminal to the starter body.

You can narrow down the problem by measuring voltage drop
from one end of a wire to the other, or between the relay terminals.

doug