Re: hot start syndrome??

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: hot start syndrome??
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:03:39 -0400
I think the gear reduction is expensive overkill, and
would tend to be bought by people who are using the
"replace parts until it starts working better" approach
to auto maintenance.

They may also have been burned by cheezy "rebuilds", where
the main part that was replaced was the layer of paint on
the outside.

When I got my car 11 years ago, I had to replace the insulating
washers that support the starter's terminal post.  Since then,
the starter has performed flawlessly under all conditions.

The only maintenance I ever did on it was last year, when
to celebrate a decade of trouble-free starting, I removed
the starter to lubricate the drive mechanism.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit