Re: hot start syndrome??

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hot start syndrome??
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:22:15 -0400
Will;
If you haven't removed the starter, that is the first thing I would do.
A mechanical inspection may yield valuable and immediate insight.  It is
also a very easy job as long as you remember the basic advice to
disconnect the battery terminals before doing any work on the electrical
system.

I suspect you are going to see something peculiar with the starter
drive  on the end of the motor shaft that would explain the clunking.
Also take a flashlight and careful examine the opening the starter goes
into.

Regards
Howard

PS - My '84 Charger starter took me across a 4 lane intersection, down
500' to the entrance of the mall, up a small incline, past the bank, to
the gas station and still left me enough battery to start the car after
I filled it up.  Not recommended but handy.  Oh, and that is with a 17
year old starter with 145,000 miles on it.