Re: Rotten *^&^&%&** car!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rotten *^&^&%&** car!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:50:23 +0000
In article <vines.FRl8+SKF1wB@hov11.scif.com>, rtgetzinger@scif.com
writes
>the $%^&%& gearbox has gone!
>All the forward gears are fine, but I've lost reverse completely.
>
>Mike,
>I had a similar problem. I cracked open the top of the gearbox and found that
>the reverse arm pivot bolt was sheared and so the reverse actuating arm was
>laying in the gearbox. My indication was absolutely no action when in
>reverse.  If you suspsect the reverse actuating arm, remove the trans tunnel
>cover and remove the top off the trans with the shifter still left attached
>to the trans top cover. Be sure to blow away all dirt and gunk before opening
>it up. You will be able to peek down inside and see if it is the arm or
>other. You can reseal it up fairly easily and still go forward. After a long
>wait I obtained a new pivot bolt (they are unique). You really should pull
>the trans out to do the job. I pulled the tailshaft off and pulled the
>reverse gear out. Putting in a new pivot bolt, reverse actuating  arm, and
>the reverse gear back in without removing all the other gears was tricky but
>was done. The reverse arm pivot bolt sticks out the right side of the trans
>housing with a nut on it. It is a ribbed compression type fit and must be
>driven out of the trans housing from the outside. The reverse actuatingb arm
>has a bolt welded to it that must be threaded onto the reverse arm pivot bolt
>and it may take a few tries to get where you feel the play is proper between
>the reverse arm and the slot in the reverse gear. Make sure all the gear
>selectors especially reverse, all of which will be attached to the trans top
>cover, go back where they are supposed to when resealing the top, it is
>evident where they go. Replace all gaskets with new ones and a new tailshaft
>bearing and oil seal, plus some gear oil. Put the trans back in and back it
>up. That's how it is on a three rail trans that is.

Wow.   Thanks very much indeed for the detailed explanation.   All UK
1500s had a single-rail gearbox, so I'm not sure how much of the above
will apply.   I am told by others that I would be mad to try to repair
the thing myself, given my lack of experience (and my lack of general
mechanical aptitude), but I might have a go once I have put in a
replacement box.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"