RE: Tyre Pressure

To: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tyre Pressure
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:43:23 +0100
James,

You can be damned sure that if your tyre shop didn't ask what pressure you
wanted in your tyres, they will be pumped up to 30psi a corner - if not
more.  They will also have pumped them all up to the same pressure, whereas
we know that Triumph intended the fronts to be run at lower pressure - this
will lead to a more under-steering characteristic than it should be.

I always tell they guy very clearly what pressure I want (just before he
pumps each tyre up, in case he forgets), and tell him clearly what torque I
want the wheel nuts done up to (48 lb ft), as otherwise they will, at the
very least, torque them up to twice that, and that's if they don't do them
up with a pneumatic spanner that will either lock them so tight they cannot
be undone by hand, or will snap your stud off.

When I have just spent at least 120-140 pounds on tyres I tend to hold off
the roundabout antics for a couple of weeks, until the memory of spending
that much money has receded.  Maybe that's why the tyres that Just Tyres
guaranteed for 40,000 miles never lasted more than about 18,000 on Daffy.
After a while they refused to give me any more mileage guarantees...

If you have lost your pressure gauge, I'd advise you not to replace it with
the cheapest one you can find - cheap gauges can disagree with each other by
up to 5psi.  Alternatively, find one of the (now few) garages that still
offer free air, their gauges are usually not too bad.

Richard (currently separated from Daffy for a couple of days while on
business in Houston - but it's the sunniest two days Aberdeen will see this
summer!)

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email