RE: Tyre Pressure

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tyre Pressure
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:25:33 -0400
I have some thoughts about tire inflation and I wonder
if one of the more knowledgable could let me know if
I'm off base here.

Regarding pressure:  The 21/26 pressures specified
by Triumph reflected the prevailing tire technology at the time.
Today's tires are designed to hold somewhat higher pressures than
yesterday's.  Within reason, higher pressures on stock sizes
will give you better grip, better gas mileage, better turn-in
and longer tread life.  The downsides being a somewhat
harsher ride, (hey, it's a Triumph) and more abrupt breakaway.

To maintain factory handling characteristics, you should
keep the 5 lb front to rear differential, however there
is nothing to preclude tuning the handling via pressure to
suit individual taste.  I actually run 32 lbs in all 4 tires,
since I like less understeer.  (Richard, I believe having all
4 tires at the same pressure reduces, not increases, understeer).

Am I on the right track?

Greg Rowe