Re: trunnion bushing

To: "Jack" <jkagy@bpsom.com>, "spitfire maillist"
Subject: Re: trunnion bushing
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:40:22 -0700
At 10:13 PM 10/24/02 -0400, Jack wrote:
>Hoping to pick someone's brain who has replaced the trunnion bushings.  I'm
>about to tackle that.  I've got the parts and have sort of "dry fit" them on
>the kitchen table.  I am concerned about exactly what to do w/ the rubber
>seals.  The Haynes manual just says "fit them."  Are they to be fit around the
>flange of the nylon bushings or what?
>I'm also puzzled because I expected there to be a hunk of rubber w/ this
>stuff...something that fits inside the trunnion housing and around the
>trunnion bolt.  The manual seems to say that this area is just filled w/
>grease.  Is that right?

The bushings are fitted horizontally with the nylon insert into the
trunnion, then the rubber oil seal fitted to the flange on the nylon, and
finally the metal washer on top of that.   Unless you have the entire lower
control arm to fit the completed trunnion bushing together out and sitting
on the table as well, it's not a job for the bench.  Assembling them before
that will just have the bushings and oil rings falling out a lot.

Assembly is done at the time you are putting the trunnions back onto the
control arm.

-Vegaman Dan