Re: Petronix Vs. MSD

To: Craig Smith <csmith1@awcwire.com>
Subject: Re: Petronix Vs. MSD
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:07:25 -0700
Craig Smith wrote:

> Why all the fuss about the Petronix unit?
> I have installed many MSD units on everything from Chevy 350's to Spit four
> bangers, same unit each time. MSD 6AL, the unit has modules for RPM
> limitation and is absolutely the easiest thing in the world to install. The
> hardest thing to installation is mounting the thing.
> I don't work for them but I just love the product, take a look at the link
> and you folks tell me why Petronix has a lock on Spits?
> http://www.msdignition.com/
> Check out the Sport/Import Compact link
>
> Also try this for prices
> http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/main.asp&l=MSD
>
> Again, just asking
>
> Craig Smith
> Office 864/289-0933
> Fax    864/289-9645

Craig,
The best thing for performance is to do the MSD thing BUT use the
pertronix as the trigger.  The MSD creates a very hot spark and does it
multiple times for each cylinder as it gets to the firing point.  The
Pertronix only replaces the points and doesn't add much in the way of
performance, only reliability.

But to answer your question, Pertronix is less than a 100 bucks while
the MSD (depending on where you buy it ) runs as high as $400.  Bug
difference for destitute Spitfire drivers.