Re: Centenary Run

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Centenary Run
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:36:02 +0100
On Thu, 22 May 2003, at around 19:17:31 local time, Michael Hargreave
Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> wrote:
>Well, Ellie has been serviced, fuelled, hoovered and washed, and
>everything - even the rust - has been polished to a high shine.   I've
>managed to locate Charlecote on a map, and to convince my wife that a
>hundred miles of hill-climbing in a forty-year-old car is an ideal
>outing for all the family.   The weather forecast is bleak, and so it
>looks like we'll be enjoying an additional Great British Tradition
>tomorrow - a picnic lunch which is consumed *inside* the car.

Dear All,

Just a brief PS to the foregoing: the weather was superb, the scenery as
beautiful as ever, and all the cars which started also finished (or so I
understand).    Even the 1935 Standard Ten made it up Bushcombe Hill (a
mile-long 1 in 4!) without quailing.

Ellie developed an alarming vibration on the last few miles of the run,
and the consensus of expert opinion is either or both of (1) dying
propshaft UJ (which I already knew was due for replacement) or (2) lost
propshaft balance weight.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is
only the former.   She got us home OK, though.   :-)

This really was a magnificent day out, and one which I and the rest of
my family will remember with great affection for many years.   Who
knows, maybe one of the kids will be boasting of their participation in
this one when they take part in the 150th Anniversary Run?

Huge thanks to John Macartney for organising such a truly special event.

ATB
--
Mike, Rachel, Charles and Gerald