Re: Centenary Run

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Centenary Run
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:37:12 +0100
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

>Don't be fooled.   Fully comp can be just as stressful if you are trying
>to prove that you are not to blame for the accident.

But at least its all organised by the insurance company... Im fed up of
dealing with about 3 different partys...

>When I decided to buy a Herald, I wasn't quite as rigid as this: I
>wanted an unmodified White 1200 Convertible, with a Mk2 chassis and red
>upholstery, and preferably with a pre-date-reg number.  (Just in case
>you don't know, the Mk2 chassis came in at about the same time as
>date-letters for car registration numbers...)   But I was prepared to
>look at a red car!  After only a few weeks, a car which exactly matched
>my requirements turned up - in Glasgow.   These days, it is incredibly
>quick, cheap, and easy to fly to Scotland, so I did, where I inspected
>and bought the car.   Don't be put off by distance - the right car is
>worth travelling for, and travel needn't be limited to British Snail.

Okkkkaaayyyy... this makes me a little less worried about how picky I
am... if you must know I want a 1967 Red Spitfire MK3.... with
overdrive... thats about the extent of my pickyness... (is that a word?)

>>Plus Im probably going to have to give back my hire car next week... so
>>I won't even be able to go look that easily... what I'm looking for
>>right now is a nice Dolomite or something... I've seen a few going for
>>about 200-400 quid with at least 6 months MOT.... should do me until I
>>find a new Spitty...
>>

>Be very careful.   You might find that you're happier with a Dolly than
>with a Spit!   These Triumph four-seaters have a lot going for them, you
>know.   I started with a Spit, added two Heralds, and am now desperately
>seeking a pre-'73 "Big Six" Estate...

I might well be happier with more than 2 seats full stop!... you woudn't
believe the amount of times my vauxhall corsa (shudderr...) has been
full in the last 3 weeks!

I quite like the stylings of the Dolly's... the 2 headlightss... the
side on view... very cool indeed...

James