Re: Grounding?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Grounding?
From: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:12:19 +0000
Thank you to all who replied.  You all seem to always have the right
answers.

I am finally am finding myself with the time and (sometimes) the money to
get serious about getting my car to run.  It is a '68 Mk3 that was given to
me in boxes, literally boxes.  I have been able to piece pretty much
everything together (i think) and now i am getting down to the important
stuff.

So, seeing as this is my very first project car, i will be asking a lot of
questions that are probably very simple to y'all but i have had little
experience with this so please bear with me.

Again thank you for your help so far and i look forward to getting to know
some of you better and begin to understand the beast known as Spitfire.  :-)

And now for my next trick..err...question(s).
1.)  When i was given the car i was not given keys to the ignition.  so i
decided to run out and get a simple universal ignition starter switch from a
local parts store.  Will this work ok for the time being?  I just need
something to let me know if the car will even run.

2.)  If the answer to #1 is yes...now the wiring has me confused.  The
switch i bought has one post labeled "Starter", one "Ignition", one
"Accessory" and one "Battery (+)".  What wires go to what?  I am guessing
that the white and red will go to the Starter since that wire goes to the
starter solenoid -> Battery -> and starter motor?  then i am unsure about
the other wires.  there are three white (two of which are together in one
connector), and the brown one.  When it comes to electrical work in any car
i wouldn't know my...well...we all know how the rest of that saying goes.
:-)

3.)  Heater Problem.  I think some of the parts that i have are from a 1500
so not everything fits right.  According to the books, there should be a
nipple in the engine head that the hose from the heater gos onto.  I don't
have that.  What i do have though is the pipe that goes to the back of the
engine from the bottom of the water pump has two openings at the end.  Then
there is also the opeining going through the intake manifold.  What goes
where?  Can i just skip the heater all together and seal off the system some
how?

I think that is about it for now.  Again i am sorry for bogging you all down
with dumb questions but i am really trying to learn this stuff.

Thanks,
  Dave
  '68 Spit