Re: Grounding?

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: Grounding?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:45:27 -0700
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jeff McNeal
  To: David Mayer ; spitfires@autox.team.net
  Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2003 12:09 AM

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: David Mayer
    To: spitfires@autox.team.net
    Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 9:12 PM

    And now for my next trick..err...question(s).
    1.)  When i was given the car i was not given keys to the ignition.  so i
    decided to run out and get a simple universal ignition starter switch from
    local parts store.  Will this work ok for the time being?  I just need
    something to let me know if the car will even run.

    Yes, this should work fine, but genuine switches aren't that hard to
find.

    2.)  If the answer to #1 is yes...now the wiring has me confused.  The
    switch i bought has one post labeled "Starter", one "Ignition", one
    "Accessory" and one "Battery (+)".  What wires go to what?  I am guessing
    that the white and red will go to the Starter since that wire goes to the
    starter solenoid -> Battery -> and starter motor?  then i am unsure about
    the other wires.  there are three white (two of which are together in one
    connector), and the brown one.  When it comes to electrical work in any
car
    i wouldn't know my...well...we all know how the rest of that saying goes.
    :-)

    The two white that are together and the brown should both go to your 12v+
  lead.  The other white (if I recall correctly) goes to the accessory
  position. CORRECTION.  All three white wires should be connected to
IGNITION, Brown to BATTERY + and red/white to STARTER.

  Leave the negative lead DISCONNECTED to your battery while you make all the
connections.  Also, be very careful that your main light switch does not
ground out to the metal dash surround.  It's easy for that to happen.