Re: Grounding?

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grounding?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:09:16 -0700
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Mayer
  To: spitfires@autox.team.net
  Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 9:12 PM

  And now for my next trick..err...question(s).
  1.)  When i was given the car i was not given keys to the ignition.  so i
  decided to run out and get a simple universal ignition starter switch from a
  local parts store.  Will this work ok for the time being?  I just need
  something to let me know if the car will even run.

  Yes, this should work fine, but genuine switches aren't that hard to find.

  2.)  If the answer to #1 is yes...now the wiring has me confused.  The
  switch i bought has one post labeled "Starter", one "Ignition", one
  "Accessory" and one "Battery (+)".  What wires go to what?  I am guessing
  that the white and red will go to the Starter since that wire goes to the
  starter solenoid -> Battery -> and starter motor?  then i am unsure about
  the other wires.  there are three white (two of which are together in one
  connector), and the brown one.  When it comes to electrical work in any car
  i wouldn't know my...well...we all know how the rest of that saying goes.
  :-)

  The two white that are together and the brown should both go to your 12v+
lead.  The other white (if I recall correctly) goes to the accessory
position.

  3.)  Heater Problem.  I think some of the parts that i have are from a 1500
  so not everything fits right.  According to the books, there should be a
  nipple in the engine head that the hose from the heater gos onto.  I don't
  have that.  What i do have though is the pipe that goes to the back of the
  engine from the bottom of the water pump has two openings at the end.  Then
  there is also the opeining going through the intake manifold.  What goes
  where?  Can i just skip the heater all together and seal off the system some
  how?

  If you don't have the fitting coming off the rear top of the cylinder head,
you should have a plug there instead.  Remove it and fit the heater adapter.
This then runs to the heater control valve, which in turn goes to the inlet
port on the heater core.  Connect one of the openings on the T pipe to the
manifold.  The other goes to the outlet port of the heater core.

  Take care,

  Jeff in San Diego

  1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
  Visit the Totally Triumph Network
  "Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
  www.TotallyTriumph.net