Re: Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:42:44 -0400
In message <5.2.1.1.2.20030622123048.00bc1310@pop-server.maine.rr.com>you write
:
>Hey gang,
>
>1. Clutch kits. Spitbits sell Borg & Beck for ~$135 or QH for ~$100 - is
>the B&B worth 35% more than QH?

   Don't know about this but my clutch kit which was suppose to be B&B
   was not and I've already taken it apart twice because it is slipping.

>2. I am making a new O/D wiring harness - can anyone give me guidance for
>proper gauge of wire for the various parts - the manual is not very clear.
>I am amazed that I have never had any O/D problems - the existing harness
>is a total hack job.

   The solenode takes 2Amps so anything about 12Gauge should be fine. That
   is what I used when I made my own O/D harness.

>3. Clutch slave cylinder. Again, Spitbits sells two, a Girling for $75, a
>Repro for $49, or a rebuild kit for $6. Mine has not given trouble, but on
>disassembly this morning the bore does look less than totally smooth. How
>bad does it have to be to replace one - I am thinking I will at least get
>the rebuild kit and through it on. Also, should there be a circlip to keep
>the piston from coming out (like on a clutch master cylinder)? I don't have
>one - I just tapped it hard on the workbench and the piston came right out.
>I do have the metal press-on end - is that all there is?

    The slave cylinder is very simple, if it is not giving you any problems
    you should just rebuild it with a kit.  You should also do the same
    with the master cylinder at the sametime.  After the rebuild I flushed
    the line and  put in DOT5.  Works very well just had problem with the
    DOT5 changing colour but I've been told that is normal.

>4. Coils. I am fairly certain mine is weak. Is the Lucas Sport Coil worth
>the extra $10? It has a Mallory coil now - should I track down another one
>of those? Crane electronic ignition.

    Go for the Sport coil it is worth the extra $10.  The conversion only
    requires 1 wire to bypass the original resistive wire because stock
    coil is 6V and the Sport coil is 12V.  The Sport Coil made my 78 Spit
    idle smoother and at lower RPM.  You will notice a difference with
    a Sports Coil.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |