Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:44:38 -0400
Hey gang,

My rebuilt engine is nearly ready for me to make the 2000 mile roundtrip to
pick up - yes I am crazy. So I am in the process of tidying up a number of
things prior to putting it back in. A little bit of Shipwright's Disease
too....

1. Clutch kits. Spitbits sell Borg & Beck for ~$135 or QH for ~$100 - is
the B&B worth 35% more than QH?

2. I am making a new O/D wiring harness - can anyone give me guidance for
proper gauge of wire for the various parts - the manual is not very clear.
I am amazed that I have never had any O/D problems - the existing harness
is a total hack job.

3. Clutch slave cylinder. Again, Spitbits sells two, a Girling for $75, a
Repro for $49, or a rebuild kit for $6. Mine has not given trouble, but on
disassembly this morning the bore does look less than totally smooth. How
bad does it have to be to replace one - I am thinking I will at least get
the rebuild kit and through it on. Also, should there be a circlip to keep
the piston from coming out (like on a clutch master cylinder)? I don't have
one - I just tapped it hard on the workbench and the piston came right out.
I do have the metal press-on end - is that all there is?

4. Coils. I am fairly certain mine is weak. Is the Lucas Sport Coil worth
the extra $10? It has a Mallory coil now - should I track down another one
of those? Crane electronic ignition.

That's it for now - more to come I am sure.

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the getting better Spit