RE: Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....

To: "'Bob Harris'" <gharris@rochester.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Sundry questions on Clutches and wiring....
From: "Craig Smith" <csmith1@awcwire.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:36:50 -0400
Folks,
Let me give you the correct way to ascertain the gauge of a wire.

First count the number of strands
Second Measure the dia of one with a mic.
Then compare to the following chart

10 awg 19 strands of .0226
12 awg 19 strands of .0179
14 awg 19 strands of .0142
16 awg 19 strands of .0113
18 awg 16 strands of .010

Current Carrying Capacity (AMPS)
10 awg  90.0
12 awg  56.4
14 awg  35.5
16 awg  22.9
18 awg  15.2
Try the following for exact OD's

http://www.awcwire.com/pdf/ct-c1-sxl-sgt-gxl-txl-gpt.pdf

This wire stranding is common for most SAE applications.
This is the standard that our LBC's used.
Ampacity of SAE 1128 is not directly transferable to UL/CSA, VDE or CE rated
wire.

If you have any other questions please give me a holler!